Return to IFCA All-Star Game 2016 article

Zach Whicker interview

Home Forums Special features IFCA All-Star Game 2016 article Zach Whicker interview

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

As a past participant, tell the Reitz Nation about your experience playing in the IFCA North-South All-Star game:

Playing in that game was a big deal for me for many reasons. It gave me an opportunity to play for the legendary Jerry Brewer from Jasper who was our head coach that year and his last game he ever coached after winning a state championship in 4A the previous fall.

But for me, playing with all of those guys was a humbling experience. I’m practicing against Jeremy VanAlstyne who was a great middle linebacker who went on to play four years at Michigan, I started over James Marten at left guard who went to Boston College on a full ride and was later drafted by the Dallas Cowboys.

Played against a guy named Anthony Spencer on the North team who played nine years in the NFL and was a pro bowler and the list goes on.

I take a lot of pride in having started in that game, played very well, played with some great football players, but most importantly, played for Reitz and was able to show these big name players and coaches from Indy and Fort Wayne that we have some players down south that not only belong but are better.

We know how to play football in Southern Indiana, and this gave Jake Schiff (who was our starting QB) and I an opportunity to prove it and we did so with a bit of a chip on our shoulder because at the time, Southern Indiana didn’t get much respect from the bigger cities up north.

It was a great time and I’ll never forget it. Our South team won that game 21-13.

Also after starting practice that week, it was evident to me that there were several guys on my 2001 Reitz team that should have been given an opportunity to play in that game because we had a few guys that were more than good enough.

So if I have any advice for Tristen, play hard for Reitz high school and the SIAC and during practice and the game, hit somebody in the mouth for every player on his 2015 Reitz team that got snubbed from this all-star game. Make these guys remember Southern Indiana football.

Zach Whicker (Class of 2002)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

Comments are disabled.